Burning Bush Church was originated as the Upper Room Church in October of 2004 with founder, Pastor Jocelyn Kelker. Church services were held in the home of one of the only eight members at the time. Shortly after, they moved into a store-front building on the south side of Akron, Ohio. With increasing membership, the Upper Room Church began holding services in Perkins Middle School to accommodate the growth.
By 2007, the Upper Room Church was known as the Burning Bush Church, relocated to a 250-seat facility on Brittain Road, and under the leadership of Jocelyn’s son, De’Juan C. Kelker II. On December 20, 2007, the Burning Bush experienced the passing of their founder. It wasn’t long before the Burning Bush Church reached their maximum capacity in the Brittain Road location. Therefore, on March 6, 2011 they moved their Sunday services to East Community Learning Center where they have 400+ in attendance each service. While being witnesses of many stages of growth, they anticipate and are prepared for the next phase of their expansion. Their mission is calling them to more comprehensive levels of ministry. For this reason, in October 2012 they took the necessary steps to secure a venue that caters to their growing membership and is more reflective of their higher mandate. The new facility for Burning Bush Church is in the heart of the East Akron District at 1104 Johnston Street, Akron, Ohio. This facility will cater to all the needs of the ministry and allows room for growth.